Based on 5-Year American Community Survey (ACS) data from the US Census Bureau, El Paso County, CO has experienced a 16.8% increase in the number of estimated Head Start eligible children in it’s service area from 2010 to 2013. An increase in the overall population has been the primary cause of this increase, growing from about 588,500 in 2010 to 631,600 in 2013. There has also been a 1% point increase in the poverty rate for young families over the same time period. Funded enrollment has dropped over the same time period, with Community Partnership for Child Development Head Start reporting a drop from 1,034 funded Head Start slots in 2010 to 892 in 2013. An overview of El Paso County demographics is in the tables and charts below.
|El Paso County||’10-’11||’11-’12||’12-’13||’13-’14|
|Total Cumulative Enrollment*||1,259||1,291||1,263||1,116|
|Total Funded Enrollment*||1,034||1,034||1,034||892|
|Estimated Number of Head Start Eligible Children**||2,433||2,845||2,945||2,841|
|Poverty rate for families with children under the age of 5**||13.99%||15.43%||15.31%||15.10%|
|* PIR from Head Start Enterprise System|
|** 5 Year American Community Survey from US Census Bureau|
More data from the 5-Year ACS can be found at Early Childhood Analytics web report. It includes:
- Service Area totals: Population, population under 5, poverty rate for families with children under the age of 5 and estimated number of Head Start eligible children
- Interactive map with data overlays by Zip Code & by recruitment area
- 2010-2013 time line graph & table tracking the service area’s totals
- Breakdown of the service area by Zip Code and by County
- Racial characteristics and Hispanic or Latino/Not Hispanic or Latino table and graphs
Contact Us with questions or to request your program’s demographic report. The 2012 version of your program’s report is offered free of charge to demonstrate our capabilities.